• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Country Acreage and Rural Properties To Buy or Not To Buy
[font="Avenir Next", Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]If you are able to take your income with you, to maintain your current income, and don't need a job where you are going. Then I recommend you just rent a place first and start spending more and more time in a good area as you begin to test your transition resources. While renting get to know the people and see if you fit in with them. They are not planning to change to meet your parameters, I assure you. MOST of the folks who come from the city to the country start by trying to change the area they have moved to and the new neighbors, to be more infousa fax list like where they left. They should not have left or they should get on back there -- and most of the neighbors will tell you so. [/font][font="Avenir Next", Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]If you move to an area as a renter and find the people to your liking and they find you to their liking, you have probably found the right area. However, in rural areas ten miles can make a huge difference in lifestyle and area ethnicity. Please don't move to a resort town, like Rehoboth Beach where I work, and then without checking try to move into a place like Oak Orchard (the little rural waterfront town where I live) or you will experience some near terminal culture shock. I love where I live and the people who live here but hopefully not one of them thinks that I have some intention of changing the way they live here![/font]

[font="Avenir Next", Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif][Image: tlwmsG8kCnS-LbybEn1YQyb2F2SCOIoVsBtTFRro...authuser=0][/font]

[font="Avenir Next", Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Once you have zeroed in on an area and visited it many dozen times or better yet rented a place there and started living there for short stays; I suggest that you start joining various groups and organizations as a part-time member and let them know that you are not full time yet, but hope to be. They help. Don't try to instruct them or help them do what they are already doing better; just try to help them on their own terms. You need to learn the rules of this new game, it's their game and their community. At most you will be a welcome member of the community. You will never be the equal to those who have four or ten or thirty generations of family buried and established there. For instance in our area those who have only been here for sixty years are still not considered "from here" by those who have been here since the 1500s or soon after. [/font][font="Avenir Next", Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Once you have looked at several dozen properties that interest you, and that may take a year or two or more; you will begin to appreciate different micro-cultures in the area. You will begin to notice differences in soils, roads, well water, septic system functionality and road access; not to mention the differences in governmental rules and enforcement of same. Each time you find the perfect property; put a contract on it "pending research and discovery" and during that time check the neighbors and professionals about the property. You should check the neighbors first, lots of them, they already know everything the professionals are going to charge you to tell you.[/font]